It has finally arrived! The big day… My blog is officially one year old! If you didn’t see it already, check out my post on the 20 things I’ve learned about food blogging over the past year. You might find something on the list you can relate to.To make this a real celebration, King Arthur Flour is sponsoring an awesome giveaway! In my opinion, KAF is the absolute best baking company. I drool when I look through their catalogue, or surf their website. I’d love about ten of everything they sell. And, as many of you probably already know, the quality of their products are superior. The fact that they are an employee owned company makes their company even better. So, what is the giveaway? Drum roll please…. One lucky winner will receive the following fantastic prize package.
A package of 9 sparkling bright-colored sprinkles
King Arthur also sent me an identical package. I absolutely love it!! I haven’t made a boxed cake mix in forever, and I forgot just how easy it is. I threw all the ingredients into a bowl, and mixed them with my electric mixer. In less than 5 minutes I was done. The batter smelled so rich and chocolaty that I could hardly wait for the cupcakes to finish baking. The cupcakes (all 24 ) baked perfectly, and are so moist and DELICIOUS! (Confession) I’ve ate way too many of them. This is the cake mix of my dreams!
The assorted swirl wrappers so colorful. I used each and every color. They are made of a heavier grade of paper, and are imported from Sweden. I noticed the heavier paper helped prevent unwanted movement when I was filling them with the batter. And, the sprinkles are so bright and cheery – I guarantee you will use them for many celebrations to come. I tried to decide which one was my favorite color and couldn’t. They all are so eye-catching.
I know the winner of this package will absolutely love it. It’s practical, super delicious, and FUN!
This giveaway is valid for US residents only. You must have a valid US street address for shipping purposes. Sorry PO boxes and international friends!
1. Link to the KING ARTHUR FLOUR and find something you LOVE. Then leave me a comment describing it.
2. For a second, third and/or fourth chances to win FOLLOW King Arthur on Facebook, Twitter, and The Baking Circle community.
3. For additional chances to win, SUBSCRIBE to The Joy of Caking by Email, RSS, or Twitter.
Leave a separate comment for each activity that you complete. You must do this to create extra entries.
The contest will close on Sunday, March 27th, at 6PM Eastern Time. The winner will be selected by random drawing and will be notified on March 28th. At that time, the winner will need to provide their address.
Thank you so much for helping make this a great celebration! Please keep following, and watch for changes I’ll be making to my site as I roll into year number two.
Friday, my blog turns one, and it’s time to celebrate!! Follow along, because at the end of this post I’m going to let you in a little secret that has to do with my celebration.
I have been thinking about what a one year post should be say for a while now. Should it be serious? Or funny? Just to warn you, I sometimes have a warped sense of humor – yes, unfortunately it’s true. Should the post be festive? Or low-key? Long, or short? Showcase all of the goodies I’ve made? Or, should I create something entirely new and exciting?
The more I thought about it, the more I felt as if I had cornered myself into writing something like a commencement speech at a high school graduation ceremony. You know the kind I’m talking about. Where you share words of inspiration, promote enthusiasm, urge everyone to follow their dreams, and remind your peers they are about to embark on a wonderful journey. That didn’t fit, as most of you have already embarked on the journey of blogging.
My mind was digesting all of my ideas when it suddenly hit me like a lead balloon. I would share 20 things I’ve learned about food blogging over the last year. So, without further adieu, here they are in no particular order.
1. Foodies are passionate. But, so are people who raise chickens (right Molly?)
2. It’s the post that you don’t expect to get much traffic that sends your numbers to the moon.
3. The post you write that you think is super awesome, probably isn’t.
4. Your spouse is your biggest fan. Thank you! X0X0
5. Friends come and go at your blog, just like they do in the real world.
6. There are cliques in the foodie world. That’s life.
7. It takes a long time to learn Twitter lingo. By the way what is #FF?
8. Not all advertisers will deliver what they promise. They know who they are.
9. If you bake something and it doesn’t turn out, it’s not the end of the world, it’s just the end of your next post.
10. When an editor of a well-known food magazine follows you on Twitter, it’s a HUGE compliment. When they tell you they were drawn in by your photo‘s, it’s even BIGGER.
11. You will grow as a baker/cook, writer and photographer.
12. You probably will never be as successful as Julia and/or Juliet but if you happen to hit it big – enjoy the ride! I’m still waiting for the ride…
13. If you bake/cook , blog, and sample frequently, you will gain weight. This I know…
14. Family and friends will love you for all the desserts you share – right down to the last bite.
15. Your oven/stove, camera, and computer are tools of the trade. Pray none of them break, because if they do, it will throw you off your game.
16. Blogging takes a lot of your time. Maybe, too much of your time.
17. You will get writers block, go into a funk, or become bored. It’s only temporary.
18. You will make friends from all over the world that you wouldn’t have made otherwise.
19. Without question, the BEST baking supply company in the world is KING ARTHUR FLOUR.
20. Food bloggers have the best giveaways.
Maybe these 20 things aren’t a one size fits all, but I’m sure you will relate to something on the list. Blogging has been a great adventure for me. When I started I was anxious, and felt as if I had walked out onto the edge of a diving board for the first time. I wondered should I turn around and retreat, or take the plunge. I took the plunge, and I’m sure glad I did.
With all that said, now comes the very best part. On Friday, I am having one heck of an awesome giveaway to celebrate. I promise you that you won’t want to miss it. And yes, there are clues in this post.